CBD St. Patrick's Day Recipes
Top o’ the mornin’ to you!
St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner, that glorious day dedicated to celebrating all things Irish: food, drink, culture, and the legacy of Ireland’s patron saint, St. Patrick.
For many, this wonderful holiday is an excuse to drink green beer and Irish whiskey. I must admit that I’ll be indulging in a bit of the creature myself, knowing that my trusty bottle of Lazarus Naturals French Vanilla Mocha Tincture will be there to help take the edge off the next day. But St. Patrick’s Day isn’t just a day of overindulgence: it’s a day to celebrate family, friends, and community, all those we love, whether near or far.
In that spirit, we’ve put together a couple of classic Irish recipes, spiced up with a potent CBD kick. So set the table, bust out the Guinness, and prepare to enjoy some CBD-infused St. Paddy’s Day classics, courtesy of CBD Choice.
CBD Irish Soda Bread
Of the many traditional St. Patrick’s Day dishes, Irish Soda Bread is without doubt one of the most iconic. So versatile, so easy to make, and so thoroughly delicious, it’s no wonder that this tasty treat has become a tradition for so many, whether Irish or not.
We’ll be spicing up the traditional recipe a bit today. First, we’re cutting down on butter and replacing it with a healthier coconut oil infusion. If you’re not a fan of this change, fear not; simply replace the coconut oil in this recipe with an equal helping of butter! And of course, we’ll be adding a healthy measure of CBD to the mix. The result? A thoroughly delicious way to both celebrate the holiday and get your normal helping of CBD to boot.
Since we’re already using coconut oil for this recipe, I recommend using Lazarus Naturals CBD Coconut Oil. It adds a potent full spectrum CBD kick to the dish that brings out the very best that hemp has to offer. Note, though, that Lazarus Naturals CBD Coconut Oil is pretty potent; if you use it, I would recommend using only 1 tablespoon of Lazarus Coconut Oil, with the remaining 6 tablespoons of traditional, non-CBD coconut oil. If you prefer to use butter over coconut oil, or if you just don’t have access to Lazarus’s CBD Coconut Oil, feel free to substitute with a few mL of your favorite unflavored oil. Or if you’re looking for an even more flavorful twist, consider using Joy Organics Summer Lemon CBD Oil.
What you’ll need:
- 4 cups of flour (whole wheat if you’re feeling extra healthy)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 7 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted, split
- As noted above, if you’re using Lazarus Naturals Coconut Oil, we recommend using 1 tablespoon of Lazarus and 6 tablespoons of non-CBD coconut oil. Some or all of this can also be swapped out for butter, at your discretion.
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk, split
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup of raisins
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 350°, then coat a baking sheet with a thin layer of flour.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add 5 tablespoons of coconut oil (including the 1 tablespoon of Lazarus Naturals CBD Coconut Oil), 1 cup of buttermilk, the egg, and beat the entire mixture well.
- On a floured countertop or other surface, knead the mixture for approx. 7-8 minutes. Knead-in the raisins towards the end of this step.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ¼ cup of buttermilk and the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Stir well.
- With a sharp knife, cut an X shape into the top of the dough, then brush about half of the coconut oil/buttermilk mixture onto the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then brush the remaining coconut oil/buttermilk mixture onto the top of the bread. Bake for another 20-25 minutes, until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick comes away dry after being inserted into the bread.
CBD Beef and Guinness Pie
This delicious recipe brings together Guinness and meat pie, two thoroughly Irish traditions, in a delightfully savory fusion. We’ll be slow cooking this mix, resulting in beef that’s luxuriously tender and a thick sauce that’s delicious, complex, and thoroughly suffused with authentic Guinness flavor.
Of course, we’ll also be infusing our Beef and Guinness Pie with a healthy dose of CBD oil. For this recipe, we recommend using an unflavored full spectrum oil, such as CoreCBD’s Natural Hemp CBD Oil. The rich earthy flavor of unflavored full spectrum CBD tincture is a lovely complement to the complex blend of tastes found in the finished pie. Even if you’re not usually a fan of unflavored CBD oil, we’d still recommend its use here — but you are, of course, free to experiment with tastes more to your liking. Pachamama’s Black Pepper Turmeric CBD Oil is another great option, one that adds a distinctive and slightly spicy kick that is a nice complement to this dish.
What you’ll need:
For the Filling:
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 large red onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- ~4oz of mushrooms (roughly ten small sized mushrooms)
- 3 pounds of stew meat, in bite-sized cubes
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- About 2 cans of Guinness (or another stout of your choice)
- 8 ounces of freshly grated cheddar
- CBD oil tincture of your choice (see recommendations above)
For the Pastry:
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons of salt
- 1 stick (½ cup) of cold unsalted butter, diced
- An egg yolk, beaten lightly
How to make:
- Heat your oven to 375°.
- In a large oven-proof pan at medium-low heat, heat 2 tablespoons of butter. Add onions and garlic, then stir frequently while cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, and 2 more tablespoons of butter. Stirring frequently, cook over medium heat for approx. 15 minutes, until mushrooms are a dark color.
- Season beef pieces with salt and pepper, then add the beef, flour, and rosemary to the pan. Stirring often, cook on high for approx. 5 minutes.
- Add Guinness until the beef is covered. Cover the pan, then put it in the oven for 1 ½ hours.
- While the beef filling is cooking, prepare the pastry. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Work the butter into the dough until it is the consistency of a thick meal. Add splashes of ice water until a firm dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic, then refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove the beef filling from the oven, stir, and cook for 1 additional hour. Optionally: if the filling is still very liquidy after the second cooking period, consider reducing the liquid by placing the pan over medium-low heat, then fold in about half of the cheddar cheese. Then, add your dose of CBD oil and stir well.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, place it between two sheets of plastic wrap, and roll it out until it is roughly 3-4mm thick.
- Pour the beef filling into a 9-inch pie pan. Scatter the remaining cheddar cheese evenly over the top. Place the dough on top of the pie, then use the tines of a fork to pinch the edges down. Slash a small slit in the center of the crust. Brush the crust with the egg yolk, then place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for ~45 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and puffy.