CBD for Dogs: Dealing with Separation Anxiety
If your furry friends tend to act out while you’re away from home, they might be suffering from separation anxiety. And while canine separation anxiety can be a real cause for concern, it’s also easily treatable, both with traditional medications and a few alternative treatments: one of the most exciting of which is CBD for dogs.
Pet owners love their animal companions. When our pets are hurting, we’re hurting. So if your pet is suffering from anxiety, here’s some information to help. We’ll be covering the warning signs of separation anxiety, the health benefits of CBD for dogs, and information about which CBD pet products are best for helping man’s best friend feel his best!
Is My Dog Suffering from Separation Anxiety?
While canine misbehavior has many causes, separation anxiety is undoubtedly one of the most common (and impactful) reasons that dogs act out.
While separation anxiety is one of many forms of anxiety your dog may experience, it’s one of the most common and impactful conditions affecting household pets. Like any form of anxiety, it’s not unique to pets; humans can also suffer from separation anxiety. But with man’s best friends, companions famous for their loyalty and affection to their core group, the pain of a pet owner’s absence can be truly severe.
What IS Separation Anxiety, Anyway?
Separation anxiety is one of the most common ailments afflicting dogs. It’s a type of acute stress that, when owners are away, can cause otherwise well-behaved dogs to wreak havoc in the home.
If your furry friend shows one or more of these symptoms, they may be suffering from separation anxiety:
- When pet owners are preparing to leave, the dog engages in:
- Excessive whining, crying, or howling
- Attempting to block owner’s departure (by sitting in front of the door, impeding owner’s movement, etc.)
- When pet owners are away, the dog engages in:
- Destructive behavior (chewing or scratching upholstery, knocking over objects, etc.)
- House soiling (inappropriate urination or defecation, especially if the dog has been house-trained)
- Attempts to escape from the home, a crate, or other enclosed space
- Excessive salivation
- When pet owners return from time away, the dog engages in:
- Following owner from room to room
- Lasting excitement (though this is also common in perfectly healthy dogs; man’s best friend and all)
Although other conditions may cause many of these behaviors, they are some of the most common signs of separation anxiety.
Only a licensed veterinarian can determine the underlying cause of your pet’s behaviors. As with any medical condition, it’s always best to seek the advice of medical professionals. Take note of your pet’s symptoms, their frequency, and causes. This information will be invaluable for the veterinarian, who will be able to diagnose the cause and determine appropriate treatment plans.
Meeting with your veterinarian is also an excellent opportunity to discuss the possibility of CBD for dogs as a treatment option! While not all vets are familiar with using CBD oil for dogs’ anxiety, a growing wealth of research and anecdotal evidence suggests that it can be a powerfully beneficial treatment option. Be sure to come equipped with a list of CBD pet products you’re considering (more on that below!), the health benefits you’re hoping to get out of CBD for dogs, and any questions you may have about CBD treatment.
CBD Oil for Dogs: a Novel Treatment Option for Separation Anxiety
CBD is renowned for its potential to boost a number of important health functions. One of these is the reduction of anxiety. By interacting with the body’s endocannabinoid system, CBD can help users manage anxiety and reduce the impact it has on their day-to-day lives.
But humans aren’t the only ones who can benefit! In fact, all animals have endocannabinoid systems and can benefit from CBD oil treatment in much the same way!
If you believe your pet is suffering from separation anxiety, CBD oil for dogs may be an excellent treatment option. While formal research into its effects is ongoing, a wealth of users’ anecdotal evidence shows great promise with CBD for separation anxiety treatment.
Again, it is always best to consult with a medical professional before starting your pet on any new treatment plan, including CBD for dogs. While CBD has few, if any, negative side effects, it’s essential to make the best decision for your pet’s health. This is especially true if your pet is on any other medications, as CBD has been shown to interfere with certain drugs (in precisely the same way as grapefruit).
Tips for Pet Owners: Introducing CBD into your Pet’s Routine
For pet owners with anxious animals, CBD for dogs offers a host of health benefits. The potential benefits are numerous, from improved mood to reduced anxiety and perception of pain to anti-inflammation to appetite regulation.
If you’re looking to try CBD oil for dogs in your home, there are a few things to keep in mind. From the CBD products they’ll enjoy most to tricks for introducing CBD into their diet, here are a few of the most important things to keep in mind.
Which are the Best CBD Pet Products for Dogs?
CBD for dogs comes in many shapes and sizes. From oil tinctures to CBD capsules to delicious CBD-infused treats, there are many ways to introduce CBD into your dog’s diet.
Depending on your canine companion’s food preferences, they may take best to one type or another. Only experience will tell for sure, but here are a few useful tips for introducing CBD for dogs into your pet’s regular health and wellness regimen.
- Benefits of CBD Oil for Dogs:
- Easy to customize dosage for your pet’s size and weight
- Come in a variety of dog-friendly flavors to match any dog’s palate
- Mixes easily into your dog’s food or water
- Downsides of CBD Oil for Dogs:
- Requires regular measurement for proper dosage
- Potential for spillage
- Tips for Using CBD Oil for Dogs:
- Always follow the manufacturer’s recommended dosage guidelines. In fact, consider starting your pet at a smaller than recommended dosage, monitoring how CBD affects them, and then working up the dosage until you achieve the desired results.
- If you find a flavor of CBD oil that your dog enjoys, they will likely be more than happy to take their dose, even straight out of the dropper. With unflavored oils, however, it is often easier to add your dog’s dose of CBD oil to their food or beverage. If adding it to food, the dog should get the entire dose at once. If adding it to water, the dog will likely not get the entire dose at once, so the dosage may need to be modified.
- Benefits of CBD Pet Capsules:
- Precisely pre-measured dosage for the right treatment every time
- Long-lasting CBD effects
- Easy to swallow
- Downsides of CBD Pet Capsules:
- Many dogs have trouble swallowing pills
- Tips for Using CBD Pet Capsules:
- If your pet is accustomed to taking pills already, simply use the same method as for their other medication
- If your pet refuses to take CBD capsules, consider using a Pill Pocket. These are tasty, flavored treats with a hollow center. By placing a CBD capsule inside, your dog will hardly notice their CBD treatment!
- Benefits of CBD Pet Treats:
- Precisely pre-measured dosage for the right treatment every time
- Smaller dosage per treat than with CBD capsules for dogs, allowing you to customize the dosage to your dog’s size and weight
- Come in a variety of dog-friendly flavors, making these the easiest way to introduce CBD for dogs
- Downsides of CBD Pet Treats:
- Tips for Using CBD Pet Treats:
- These are likely the easiest way to introduce CBD for dogs into your pet-care routine
- Be sure to follow manufacturer’s recommended dosage, and don’t be afraid to start out small
- Experiment with flavors until you find one that your pet loves. When you find the right CBD pet treat, your dog will be begging for their next CBD treatment!
Closing Thoughts on CBD for Dogs’ Separation Anxiety
If your pup is suffering from stress of any sort, it can be deeply worrisome. Separation anxiety can be a particularly severe form of stress, one that can cause emotional pain for both pet and owner — and if left untreated is only likely to get worse.
But luckily, canine separation anxiety is highly treatable. Be sure to check with your local veterinarian for a diagnosis and treatment plan, and to inquire whether CBD for dogs may be beneficial for your beloved pup!
As always, we at CBD Choice are here to help. If you have any questions about how CBD can benefit your dog’s health and wellness, don’t hesitate to reach out to our knowledgeable customer service staff.