Too Much CBD: Signs and Symptoms to Watch Out For
CBD has, for good reason, become a popular wellness supplement in recent years. It's known for its potential to alleviate anxiety, reduce inflammation, and improve sleep quality. But as with any supplement or medication, there can be such a thing as too much of a good thing.
Taking too much CBD can cause some unpleasant side effects, but they're not going to be serious and should pass pretty quickly. Still, it's never a good idea to over-indulge.
Here's what you need to know about taking too much CBD.
Can You Take Too Much CBD?
If you’ve started to indulge a little too much in your favorite CBD products, you might be worried that you can take too much CBD - or worse, overdose on CBD.
In short: yes. You can take too much CBD just like you can drink too much coffee, get too much sleep, or overeat. Ingesting a large amount of CBD is possible, and it will have a few side effects that we’ll continue to discuss here if you take more than the recommended dose.
Is Taking Too Much CBD Serious?
First off, let's start with the good news.
You can take too much CBD. However, taking too much CBD isn't going to hurt you. It's not like taking too much of some other substances, where you could end up in the emergency room. Nope, CBD is pretty chill like that.
So if you accidentally took a little extra, don't worry; you're not going to die — nor will you even experience lasting health concerns.
However, you might experience some side effects. Drowsiness and dry mouth are the most common side effects of taking too much CBD. You might also feel a little lightheaded or dizzy. And if you're really sensitive, you might get some nausea or diarrhea. But again, nothing to worry about. Just take a deep breath and ride it out.
The Common Symptoms of Taking Too Much CBD
It's possible to take too much of your favorite CBD products, and some people may experience unwanted side effects as a result. Here are some signs that you may have taken too much CBD:
- Drowsiness: CBD has calming properties, and taking too much may make you feel excessively sleepy or fatigued.
- Dry mouth: CBD can reduce saliva production, which may leave you feeling parched.
- Nausea: Some people may experience nausea or digestive discomfort after taking too much CBD.
- Lightheadedness or dizziness: CBD can lower blood pressure, which may cause feelings of lightheadedness or dizziness.
- Changes in appetite: CBD can affect appetite, and taking too much may cause you to feel excessively hungry (most common with full spectrum CBD products, which contain tiny amounts of THC) or, conversely, lose your appetite.
If you experience any of these symptoms after taking CBD, it's a sign that you may have taken too much. To prevent this from happening in the future, start with a low dose and gradually increase it until you find the right amount for your needs. If you're still experiencing side effects, consulting with a healthcare provider is a good idea.
What To Do If You've Taken Too Much CBD
If you're feeling really out of it, there are a few things you can do to help yourself out.
- First, drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated is always a good idea, but it's imperative when you've taken too much CBD. And if you're feeling dizzy or lightheaded, try lying down for a bit. Close your eyes and take some deep breaths. You'll feel better in no time.
- Another thing you can do is eat a snack. CBD can lower your blood sugar, making you feel a little hungry. And who doesn't love a good snack? Just make sure it's something healthy, like some fruit or nuts. Don't go eating a whole bag of chips or you'll regret it later.
- Now, if you're still feeling funky after a few hours, it might be time to call it a day. Take a nap, watch some Netflix, or do whatever makes you feel good.
- And next time, remember to start with a lower dose of CBD. It's always better to start low and work your way up, rather than jumping in with both feet.
So there you have it, folks. Taking too much CBD might make you feel a little sleepy or give you a case of the cottonmouth, but it's nothing to worry about. Just drink some water, eat a snack, and take it easy. And if all else fails, blame it on the CBD and have a good laugh about it—after all, life's too short to take everything so seriously.
Too Much CBD, In Closing
In conclusion, while CBD is generally considered safe and well-tolerated, taking too much can result in unwanted side effects. Therefore, it's important to start with a low dose and gradually increase it until you find the right amount for your needs.
If you do experience any adverse effects, such as drowsiness, dry mouth, nausea, lightheadedness, or changes in appetite, it's a sign that you may have taken too much CBD. While these side effects are generally mild and go away on their own, if you're concerned, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare provider.
Nevertheless, with responsible use, CBD can be a helpful addition to your wellness routine. So go ahead, take a little bit of CBD, relax, and enjoy the benefits that this natural compound can provide.