CBD for Tinnitus
CBD for tinnitus: it's a potential use for CBD that's getting more and more attention recently. But is this the real deal, or just misleading buzz?
CBD is a remarkably versatile wellness tool, and new applications are still regularly being discovered. But unfortunately, all the buzz around CBD means that we're also going to see false advertising, ignorant claims, and unfounded rumors pop up from time to time.
Here's the bottom lineskinny: there is no evidence that CBD is an effective treatment for tinnitus, and some studies and anecdotal accounts suggest that CBD may actually make tinnitus worse.
Simply put, don't use CBD for treating tinnitus. However, CBD may be helpful for reducing some of the stress and anxiety that tinnitus can cause. If that sounds appealing, then it may be worth a try; otherwise, you're best served by talking to your doctor aboutfor other treatment options.
What Causes Tinnitus?
Tinnitus is not generally a disorder in and of itself. Rather, tinnitus is a symptom of some other, underlying cause. Address that cause, and you are likely to address the tinnitus.
According to Mayo Clinic, tinnitus can be caused by a number of issues, most commonly including:
- Hearing loss
- Ear infection
- Head or neck injuries
- Medications (notably including non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or "NSAIDs")
What Does CBD Do In the Body?
CBD is a natural compound, known as a cannabinoid, that is produced by the cannabis plant. When ingested, CBD interacts with the body's endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for regulating a surprising number of vital bodily functions.
Through these interactions, CBD has been proven to help with a wide variety of ailments. Of these, the best understood are:
- Reducing inflammation
- Fighting inflammation- related pain
- Reducing anxiety and stress
- Improving sleep
- Reducing the frequency and severity of certain epileptic seizures
Notice that treating tinnitus is not on this list.
While other therapeutic applications for CBD exist, these are the treatments that are most solidly backed by clinical research. Unfortunately, the available research actually argues against using CBD for tinnitus!
Can CBD Treat Tinnitus? What the Research Says
When you're looking for new treatments for your health and wellness, trust the science, not the hype.
And when it comes to CBD for treating tinnitus? The science says, "stay away."
- A 2015 animal study found that a combination of CBD and THC could actually make tinnitus worse.
- A 2020 clinical review found that there wasn't enough information to conclude that CBD helped tinnitus.
- Even the most optimistic clinical review observed that "cannabinoids are not likely to be helpful in tinnitus treatment and could even be harmful."
There is, simply put, no solid clinical evidence that CBD can effectively treat tinnitus.
Niche Cases: When CBD for Tinnitus May Be a Good Idea
So, CBD is not generally going to be an effective treatment for tinnitus. However: there are two situations in which CBD might conceivably alleviate tinnitus.
- The first is when the tinnitus is caused by inflammation-related head or neck injuries. CBD is known to be a potentpowerful anti-inflammatory, and so could reduce the severity of such injuries.
- The second is when tinnitus is caused by the use of NSAIDs, for which CBD might be effectively substituted. This benefit is speculative, however, as the author is unaware of any research using CBD for this purpose.
Even if CBD cannot treat your tinnitus, it may be able to help some users to cope with the stress and anxiety that the disorder can cause.