CBD For Canine Arthritis
Cannabidiol (CBD) isn't just for people. All mammals have an endocannabinoid system that allows them to benefit from CBD and the many other therapeutic cannabinoids that nature has to offer. And for our furry friends, that's very good news.
What's less good is that arthritis affects pets, too. Whether from age, illness or wear and tear, our canine companions can suffer from debilitating aches and pains that can keep them from living their best life.
But the good news: CBD for dogs' arthritis is an all-natural, effective, and safe treatment option that's helping more and more good boys get back on their feet.
Is Your Dog in Pain? Spotting Canine Arthritis
According to Canine Arthritis and Education (CARE), canine arthritis is the biggest cause of chronic pain for dogs, affecting at least 1 in 5 dogs within their lifetime.
But unlike humans, there's no way that our furry friends can tell us that they're in pain. So it's up to us to look out for the warning signs and if we worry our pets may be hurting, seek the help they need.
CARE has identified 25 warning signs that your dog may be experiencing chronic joint pain, including:
- Decreased appetite
- No longer getting up to greet owner
- Having accidents in the house
- Panting heavily, even at rest
- Reduced mobility
Although these are some of the most common and visible warning signs, it's far from an exhaustive list. Be sure to see the full list and watch out for less obvious signs of dogs with arthritis.
What Causes Canine Arthritis?
Arthritis isn't a single disorder. It's a general term for over 100 different types of chronic pain, each with a slightly different cause. The most common causes of canine arthritis include:
- Injuries such as ligament damage or broken bones
- Hip dysplasia or similar ailments common to a breed
- Joint-development issues caused by too little or too much exercise during puppyhood
- Wear and tear due to simple old age
Arthritis is really a symptom rather than a cause. But for those suffering from chronic arthritis pain, that distinction is less important than the reality of their pain — and no matter what caused arthritis, the pain comes from a common source.
All forms of arthritis pain are caused by inflammation. The term itself literally means "joint inflammation", from the Greek "arthron" (joint) and "itis" (inflammation of). And that's also the reason that CBD oil for dogs with arthritis may be the key to a happier, more pain-free doggo.
Does CBD Help With Arthritis in Dogs?
As discussed above, all forms of arthritis are the result of joint inflammation. And as it happens, CBD is known to be a powerful anti-inflammatory.
The implication, of course, is that CBD should naturally be an effective way to manage arthritis- and other inflammation-related chronic pain — both in humans and in other mammals.
Indeed, there is a wealth of anecdotal evidence supporting the use of CBD for arthritis pain. And while comprehensive, large-scale studies on such treatment are still ongoing, early clinical data suggests strong support for CBD as a method of treating arthritis-related chronic pain:
- An animal study in the European Journal of Pain connects the use of topical CBD with reduced arthritis pain.
- A small randomized trial of topical CBD use showed CBD as a promising treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee.
- A large-scale review of cannabis research concluded that there is "substantial evidence that cannabis is an effective treatment for chronic pain in adults." (The study did not examine CBD specifically, but rather all of cannabis's cannabinoids together).
- A study out of Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine found that 4.4mg of CBD per lb of dog's weight, administered twice daily, significantly improved pain relief and quality of life.
More research is surely needed into CBD's usefulness for arthritis treatment — and that's especially true when it comes to CBD for dogs' arthritis. But virtually all available evidence, both anecdotal and clinical, suggests that CBD is an effective, safe treatment for arthritis-related chronic pain.
Potential Benefits and Side Effects of CBD for Dogs' Arthritis
CBD offers a range of benefits, and these affect humans and dogs in virtually identical ways.
For dogs suffering from arthritis pain, the key potential benefits of CBD include:
- Increased joint mobility
- Reduced arthritis- and other inflammation-related pain
- Greater mobility
- Reduced stress and anxiety, both pain-related and general
However, CBD does have the potential to cause side effects. These are generally very minor but should be considered and discussed with a veterinarian before putting your dog on a CBD treatment. Such potential side-effects may include:
- Interfering with some other medications (as with grapefruit)
Which CBD Products Are Best For Dogs With Arthritis?
There are many different types of CBD pet products available, and each lends itself to a different use case.
Some appeal to an animal's taste preference; others specialize in treating certain conditions. Some are applied topically (to the skin); others are taken in your animal's food or drink; still others come in the form of pills.
Most research into CBD for arthritis has focused on topical CBD. These products allow you to target your dog's dose on their most achy regions — so if your vet has been able to pinpoint your pup's problem areas, these may be a great option.
- CBDfx Calming and Moisturizing Pet Balm
- Hemp Hound Foaming CBD Topical for Pets
- Mary's Tails Hemp Extract Balm for Dogs and Cats
- Mary's Tails Hemp Extract Transdermal Gel Pen for Dogs and Cats
However, if your dog is suffering from pain all over — or if they tend to lick-off whatever topical you try to apply, then you may be better off with an oral product: either a CBD tincture or a specialized pet treat that they'll love to eat.
- CBDfx Pet Treats for Joint and Mobility
- Koi CBD Joint Support CBD Dog Treats
- Paw CBD Peanut Butter Jar
- Lazarus Naturals CBD Dog Treats for Calm + Mobility
- Lazarus Naturals Wild Salmon Pet Tincture for Joint Support
- CBDistillery Full Spectrum Pet CBD Oil
Of course, this is only a small sampling of the CBD pet products out there. Be sure to look at the full range we offer to find the perfect CBD treatment for your pet.