CBD Essential Oil Combos You Didn’t Know You Needed
Did you know that CBD and essential oils go hand in hand? In fact, these industries overlap much more than you might think. Why? Because CBD essential oil combinations offer the captivating benefits of CBD in partnership with the fragrance and calming health benefits of organic essential oils.
This alliance applies across disciplines: skin care, physical health, mental health, and more. Essential oil and CBD combinations could hold the key to reimagining your CBD treatment. So is there a way to determine the CBD essential oil combo? Yes, but we must first better understand essential oils.
Get to Know Essential Oils
In recent years, the term “essential oil” has been used to describe just about everything. However, it actually maintains a specific meaning: any plant-derived oil thought to contain the “essence” of its parent plant.
By this definition, the smell is a crucial feature of any essential oil. In addition, any organic essential oils should also evaporate at room temperature. This may explain why so many essential oils are sold as sprayable tinctures.
Essential oils are distilled – often steam distilled – from their parent plants. Steam distilled essential oils are the gold standard for organic essential oils because they utilize very few chemicals compared to other popular manufacturing techniques. Furthermore, using steam distillation techniques can be relatively simple with the correct equipment:
- Plant material is placed in a container.
- Dry steam is pumped through the container.
- The compounds within the plant material are volatilized (evaporated), condensed, and collected in another container, known as a receiver.
- What’s left in your receiver is your essential oil.
Let’s take rose oil as an example. The aromatic petals, leaves, and roots of the rose plant are steam distilled and turned into an essential oil. This essential oil emits a very distinct, floral aroma. When sprayed into the air, rose oil will evaporate at room temperature. In this way, rose oil meets every definition of an essential oil.
But what about plant-derived oils that don’t necessarily carry the “essence” of their parent plants, like coconut oil or avocado oil?
Essential vs. Carrier Oil: What’s the Difference?
Enter the carrier oil: a vegetable-derived oil extracted from the seeds, kernels, or nuts of a non-aromatic plant. These oils might carry a subtle smell but cannot be described as aromatic or essential in the same way as essential oils.
Instead, carrier oils play a vital role in essential oil and CBD combinations. On their own, organic essential oils cannot be ingested or applied directly to the skin because they can be toxic to humans. When combined with a carrier oil, however, we can take advantage of the health benefits of these compounds.
All CBD essential oil combinations contain some form of carrier oil. A good example is CBD-infused skin care products: these CBD topicals often contain both carrier oils and essential oils.
- Carrier oils offer hydration, astringent properties, and a variety of other skin-related health benefits.
- Essential oils offer natural fragrance and some minor benefits of their own, often anti-inflammatory or antiseptic health benefits.
Some of the most popular examples of carrier oils include coconut oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, and sunflower oil (among others).
So What Are the Best CBD Essential Oil Combos?
There are many essential oil and CBD combinations that allow you to take full advantage of the benefits of CBD. However, the best combination for you might depend on your CBD use. If you’re only using CBD skin care products, you might want a different CBD essential oil combination than someone only using ingestible CBD tinctures.
The Best Essential Oil Combinations For Skin Care
When finding a skin care treatment, you need products that properly balance moisture, relieve acne and other signs of inflammation, and repair areas of dry skin on your face. Luckily, it’s easy to find a variety of CBD essential oil infusions designed specifically for skin care. What are some of the best essential oils to pair with CBD?
- Lavender Oil: balances moisture levels while reducing redness, hydrating skin, and repairing dry skin without added grease.
- Chamomile Oil: offers high amounts of azulene, known to increase moisture levels and reduce inflammation.
- Clary Sage Oil: controls excess sebum (oily secretions), reduces acne, and reduces wrinkles in matured skin.
The Best Essential Oil Combinations For Physical Health
Maybe you’re an athlete, or perhaps you’re arthritic, but whatever your reason, essential oil and CBD treatment combinations can help you relieve pain and fight bodily inflammation. Here are some of our favorite essential oils to pair with pain-relieving CBD!
- Peppermint Oil: contains high levels of natural menthol, used to cool hot spots, relieve inflammation, and reduce pain levels.
- Eucalyptus Oil: a naturally cooling essential oil that possesses analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and even antiseptic properties.
- Rosemary Oil: an analgesic that’s been known to stimulate skin health and even relieve areas of inflammation.
The Best Essential Oil Combinations For Mental Health
Many people use CBD for its potential mental health benefits. And believe it or not, essential oils can help with this too! What are our favorite CBD essential oil combinations for mental health?
- Lavender Oil: while also used in skin care, this versatile oil can also be used to induce relaxation and even help you get better, more satisfying sleep.
- Frankincense Oil: known to reduce stress and anxiety levels, relieve high blood pressure, and even reduce heart rate.
- Lemon Oil: one of the most potent citrus essential oils, lemon oil offers stress and anxiety-relieving properties, antidepressant properties, and elevating your overall mood.
Should You Use CBD in Combination with Essential Oils?
There are many uses for CBD. Likewise, there are many uses for essential oils. Using CBD essential oils combinations may increase your overall experience with CBD treatment options. It’s important to find the right treatment for you. Always do your research on essential oils before ingesting or applying them to your skin.